November 24, 2011 § Leave a comment
Before I made these, as a by-product of making pumpkin pie, I had never eaten a pumpkin seed before.
In the game Glitch, recently there was a holiday called Zille-o-ween which was an in game version of Halloween. Players grew pumpkins and got to make jack-o-lanterns, pumpkin pie, pumpkin ale, and other pumpkin based foods. When you cut up the pumpkins to make these foods, you got roasted pepitas!
So, when I was cutting up some pumpkins to make pie and pulled out the seeds, I thought “Hey! I got pepitas!”
So anyway these are amazingly delicious and super duper healthy for you. Just don’t eat them all at once!
- 1 1/2 cup of pepitas
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Scoop seeds out of pumpkin
- Rinse with cold water to remove as much membrane as possible
- (optional) Boil with salt water for 10 minutes, this gives it a flavor more similar to sunflower seeds
- Place on paper towels in a single layer and let dry overnight
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- Mix seeds, oil, salt, and pepper together
- Spread seeds out in single layer on foil lined baking sheet
- Cook for about 25 minutes or until golden brown
- Try to wait for them to cool before eating!